Sunday, May 29, 2011

Finally an update!

This might be a long post because I feel like I haven't posted on my blog forever. Could it be because I haven't had time? Probably! I have been so busy lately with trying to finish up the school year (which by the way we only have 2.5 days left). And to top that off I am not returning next year. Not that I don't love teaching school, but I am so excited to finally stay home with Lizzie. I have also decided to teach preschool from my home a couple of days a week and I have been pretty busy with getting things in place to make this happen by Fall this year. I am so excited and can't wait to do all the fun things that come with teaching. I kind of feel like I have missed out on all of that over the past several years of teaching with doing all the direct instruction programs for special education and the ESL program. So doing preschool will be SO FUN! Other than keeping really busy with school stuff there is the usual yard work this time of year that requires our TIME. Now if the weather would just cooperate so that I didn't have to wear my winter coat out to mow the lawn every few days in between the rain storms. I am so tired of all the rain and cold wind. I have only been able to get part of my garden in, too. So hopefully this week there will be some warm weather as we go into the month of June.

Our summer is filling up fast with lots of activities and family things. Koby and I just celebrated our 10 year anniversary this month and so we decided it was time for a vacation for the 2 of us to getaway. Koby has really been wanting to take me to see Alaska. He has some extended family that lives out on the Kenai so we are going to take advantage of that and go stay for a week. We will be leaving here in a couple of weeks. I will have to take lots of pictures and post about it when I return. For now here is a recap of some of the things I have done over the last month.

At the end of April we had our annual girls weekend. I have been wanting to go to the BYU Women's conference. Since I was in charge of planning it this year, that is where it all began. My sister Tiffany and I went down both days and then on Friday my other sister Lindsay and sister-in-law Courtney joined up with us. The others couldn't make it to the Conference because of little babies and my mom decided to stay at my house and help out with Lizzie and Lindsay's kids. It was an amazing 2 day conference that I hope to attend again. The spirit was so strong throughout the entire Conference and I enjoyed every class that I attended. Here are some of the notes I took that really stood out. I know it looks like a lot...but there was a lot said in 2 days time and I wanted a chance to look back and remember the things I learned. If you ever get the chance to go I would highly suggest going. You won't regret it.

Sister Pearce:
Keep it small, keep it simple, and give it time. Prayer rests on the principle of faith and is an expression of agency. When things are at their worst they have the potential to be the best of times. Gradually Our desires become His desires

Brother and Sister Larsen: There’s only one person you can change – the one sitting right here. In a covenant marriage you REALLY do put ALL your eggs in one basket. Charity starts with the little things…do the things they (the spouse) wants to do instead of what you want to do. You can learn to love new things.

Sister Johnson: He watches over us but it is usually through a mortal He does that. We are the answer to other people’s prayers. It rains on all of us. Look out to those in deeper puddles…to lift and strengthen one another. You will find you are your strongest when you lift someone else up. In the pre-existence we knew of the trials we were going to face and We shouted for joy and cried pick me, pick me! We were so excited to come to this earth. We were just as excited to laugh as we were to cry.

Sister Allen:I know what I want and I know to whom I must go get it. Submit our will to Him and be obedient and trust in Him. Leave to thy God to order and provide. Promises are found in the scriptures. Trust Him in his timing. Each day we can choose to be happy or we can choose to be sad, but it is our choice. There are physical as well as spiritual blessings from going to the temple. Through the power of God and His priesthood, Miracles do Happen! Recognize your blessings!

Sister Beck: The History of Relief Society helps us learn who we are! Women are the guardians of the Hearth of the home. It is woman’s responsibility to nurture, teach, and influence. We can not delegate them. These are our responsibilities. It becomes a gospel choice, not a lifestyle choice. We do not get a pass from the responsibilities. They are our sacred duties given under covenant. We are an essential part of building His kingdom. We should invite Christ as the center of our home. Christ like charity is a Christ like quality…it requires repentance and change. Trials can be overcome only through faith. Faith is how the Lord heals us and strengthens us. Home is where the Lord expects the priesthood to work the best. Go to the temple and PAY ATTENTION! Not only accept His plan, but fulfill it.

Dorothy and Mark McDonough: Our children need us to have a strong marriage. We need to celebrate differences. Each of us must decide to Love our spouse. 5 ways of saying I love you:

(1. Compliment 2. Quality Time 3. Giving gifts 4. Visual 5. Physical Touch) As with any language it takes practice, practice, practice! Only sincere praise changes behavior. The spirit can not survive in a negative situation.

Sister Lyons: Where her treasure is her heart is also. Learn to see yourself as Heavenly Father sees you. Only after we love ourselves are we able to love others. Rear and love the children God has blessed us with. Rely more on Heavenly Father as a partner and call upon Him often. Reduce the rush and take time to get to know yourself better. We are all role models to our children no matter what stage of life we are in.

Sister Thackeray: Love begins with gratitude. Being grateful makes us happy. 4 points: (1. Remember Mother’s Heart is a Gift 2. Slow down 3. Remain grateful 4. This life is a Test, things will be hard) Opposition teaches us to choose God. It takes work…to be a Mother. Women are hugely responsible for the atmosphere of the home. We know what comes in and what goes out. There is power in family prayer and scripture study. It is a key to lock out adversity in our homes and allows the spirit in. Scriptures can help us more than parenting books. The words you speak today may be the words they remember tomorrow...and today will soon be gone. Often it is the Woman who facilitates it. We must schedule it in. Never view parenting as a popularity contest. Fear and faith can not abide in the being.

Sister McConkie and Sister Nadauld: Mothers responsibility is awesome and eternal. You were created for this in the premortal world to prepare for this at the appointed time. Mothers need to be at the door of the home. Sometimes the mom wants to be the warm pussycat but that is not always wise. No matter how vigilant a mother is…there is always agency. You are the One, Now is the time, and this is the place to be a Mother.

Brother and Sister Bednar: Ask in faith in meaningful prayer. A pattern in all things is a guide to avoid waste. Spiritual patterns are essential. We are bombarded by “quick” satisfaction. Great things come to pass through small and simple things (analogy of drip irrigation) frequent consistent drops of spiritual nourishment. Steadiness in small amounts done over time. Consistent. Spiritual preparedness cannot be shared in an instance. Drops added now can be stored to use later when needed. (analogy of 10 virgins and oil in the lamps)

After the conference we returned back to my house to my mom and the rest of the girls that couldn't go to the conference and had a sleepover. Then on Saturday we got up and shopped ALL DAY! And that is no lie. We shopped until way late before they all went home. It was lots of fun and I am glad everyone could take part in it in some way. I love family and it is so fun when we can get together and do fun "girl things" like this. Thanks again for the good time.

5 comments:

Patty said...

Congrats on staying home next year! I'm sure you and LizzieBear will just love it!

Angie Robison said...

YOu and Tiffany are both great note takers. We ought to have you guys give classes on your classes:) Have fun in Alaska that sounds so fun.

voleen.blogspot.com said...

Oh Heather your notes of conference is great. Thanks for sharing them. I'm happy for you getting to go to Alaska. Have a good time. I'm sure staying at home next year will make things the world of difference for Lizzie.

Brett and Tiffany said...

Glad things are working out for preschool! What a blessing that will be to be home with Lizzie! Loved your notes!

johnandjana said...

I loved your notes. It made me wish that I had gone, but it was fun taking care of the girls. Next year will be great for you and Lizzie. Sometimes we think the job and money are the most important things. They are not!!!! Being together as Mom and daughter are a lot better. Even with Dad being out of work, we have survived and it really was okay without all the money. You can make it through.