Sunday, November 9, 2014

A tribute to my mother

I know I am way behind in my catching up of my blog. My goal is to become more dedicated and keep up with it like I use to. My mom recently passed away just over 2 months ago and I have yet to accomplish writing any of my thoughts down through this hard time. I know it would help me if I would and I do plan to do that. I know it would be very healing for me.

For now a friend of my mother's wrote this on her facebook page as a way to honor my mom: "In thinking of how best to honor this amazing woman and Daughter of God I wanted to propose a day when everyone smiles, tells those they love that they love them, seek to say only positive uplifting things to everyone they meet (or say nothing), give hugs freely, and seek to leave everyone that day better than you found them. Jana's birthday is the 9th of July; so I propose that the 9th of every month be a day we seek to help others' lives in the way that Jana helped us. What an amazing world we would live in if we all followed Jana's example--I think we might discover why she always had a smile on her face, and we would have her bless our lives yet again. There is one more aspect I would propose. As you all know Jana loved Facebook, and used it to post things about those she loved. I would propose also on the 9th of every month that we seek to post something about someone special to us on their Facebook page for all family and friends to read and add additional comments--and that we post a little about the experience here on Jana's page, making Jana's page a living memorial. It will be a living tribute to Jana, something that will improve our lives, and the communities we live in; much as Jana did while she was here with us."

Tonight I am choosing to write about my mother for this month. Who better to start with right? And I thought I would share it on facebook and here on my blog. What an honor to be able to share with you some of the great qualities my mother has taught me. I really like this idea of posting something about someone special because my mom was always one for writing a quick note or sending a card to let you know how much she cared. Just the other day I came across a few cards and letters that I will always cherish. She had sent them to me awhile ago letting me know how much she loved me. She shared with me what a good wife and mother I am and how proud she is to be my mom. Mom always knew when you needed a little pick me up and to be reminded that we are all doing our best. She was always so good to let me know that things will be ok and turn out the way they should and that good things were to come. I just needed to trust in the Lord.

Even though she could not empathize or fully understand, she was my strongest cheerleader and tried to do her best at comforting me as I struggled through all my infertility. I know she was more than excited on the day we shared the news that we were chosen to adopt a little girl. In fact she was the first one here waiting when we arrived home with our little Lizzie after she was born. My mom was smiling from ear to ear with so much gratitude and happiness. I felt she was smiling not only because she had another grandchild to love, but she was smiling inside for me. She knew how my heart ached and how long I had been waiting for that day to come. She wanted to be here to share with me everything she knew about being a mom and how to take care of my child. On numerous occassions since that day she has lifted me up and given me advice when being a "mommy" can get tough. I always knew I could call and talk to my mom. She was always willing to listen to me and then often would remind me of what kind of child I was (I know some of you are laughing) and that she survived and made it through. And then of course share her advice of what she thought I could do.

In fact the last conversation that I had with my mom was just a few days before she passed away. She called me to see how my daughter was doing with her first year of school starting. It was a long conversation that I will never forget as I told her that we had a rough start and that my 5 year old was already quitting school after 4 days...She was dropping out of Kindergarten. My mom reassured me during that conversation that things would get better. And sure enough over time you were right mom they did. If you could only see your grand daughter now you would be proud. She looks forward to school every day and comes running home to share with me what she did that day.

My mom has always been an example to me for so many years. She was an example that left a legacy of love for all her family. She was a woman of strength and lots of encouragement. She always wanted us to be happy and would do anything for any of us. She taught me how to take time for others and to listen and to be a friend to everyone. She taught me to work hard and to serve others. I look up to her in so many ways and hope I can be as good as mother to my daughter as she was for me. I will love you forever mom!

2 comments:

Brett and Tiffany said...

Love this! Glad you shared it here since I don't have a Facebook page!

Anonymous said...

hjuy