Sunday, April 13, 2008

BIG NEWS!

I hope you are up for a great story because we think this is a good one!

This last Tuesday I was sitting down during my lunch break at school and decided to check my e-mail. I seen that an e-mail had come from Eve through the LDS website and my heart dropped. I was a little afraid to open it, unsure of what it would say. Koby and I had already had two contacts from birthmothers this way, but nothing had happened with either one after we e-mailed back. I got the courage up to open the e-mail and it was a birthmother from American Fork, UT. She had viewed our profile and felt that we would be good parents for her baby. She left her phone number and e-mail and had asked us to contact her. It was probably a good thing that I was in the classroom by myself at this time, because I think I screamed and then cried and then took 10 deep breaths and decided to call my husband. I related the message and read it aloud to him. He said you've got to be kidding and then said to call her right now. So after gaining my composure and thinking what I would say, I phoned her. I think we were both a little nervous during the conversation, but we spoke for about 10-15 minutes telling a little more about ourselves, and then she mentioned she would like to meet us. We both agreed that Friday would be a great day because she didn't work that day and Koby and I (it just so happened) were already going that direction for spring break.
Well, Friday rolled around (not too soon), and Koby and I went and met Debra in American Fork. It was an awesome experience in meeting her. We had gotten to the agency and asked for the caseworker. The secretary said she would be just a moment because she was still meeting with someone. Then a voice from behind us said "Koby and Heather" and it happened to be Debra, the birthmother, who was also in the waiting room. She began immediately talking to us about "our" baby and said we were getting a girl. I think I was totally in shock. She said that she was a very active baby girl and she was so happy to meet us. It wasn't more than two minutes or so that the caseworker came out and directed us to a room. I was a little nervous, but you could just feel the spirit in the room with us. We visited for about an hour and a half about our families, hobbies, the baby, the future, everything. She even showed us the ultra sound and gave us the disk to take home with us. I was a little in shock over the whole thing and I think I still am. I just couldn't believe it when it all happened. I felt like I was in a dream. I've waited so long to have a baby that I almost feel like I have allowed myself to stop believing it would ever happen. It was almost as though your feelings become calloused over. But without a doubt, the Lord works in mysterious ways, through other people that come into our lives, and through that we all overcome some of our toughest trials. I am so thankful to those who have helped us and given us strength through this process.
I guess now that we know that we are getting a girl, shopping is next on the list. I think that would be an okay thing to do now. I am very excited for that. Koby and I haven't allowed ourselves to buy any baby stuff up to this point, except a pack and play, which has been useful for nieces and nephews when they are here visiting. Koby is also extremely happy and can't quit smiling about the whole thing. The baby's due date is September 6th. So we have a little time to prepare I guess. We will have to update you more as things go on.

6 comments:

The Foster Bunch said...

Again, we are so excited for you guys. This girl "Debra" could not have picked greater parents for this little girl. We love you guys very much and our so excited for your new addition to arrive. I know she will be loved unconditionally for the rest of her life. Congrats!!
The Foster's

Amanda said...

Congrats Koby and Heather!!!! I am so excited for you, and I can't wait to meet this new little girl!!! Heather if you ever want to go Garage Selling--- I will go with ya!!! Let me know!!!
I know I can't replace Kristin but I can try, Haha!

Hadley Family said...

Oh MY GOSH! We are so excited! You and Koby are going to be amazing parents. We can hardly wait to see this long awaited for miracle. Please let us know if there is anything we can do. We are close! We love you guys!
Brad and Nichole

Mommamort said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Kristin told us that you were meeting with a new birth mom this weekend and then coming there for a party. What great news to help you celebrate and what a wonderful birthday present. Adoption is truly a miracle of love from Heavenly Father. We have been blessed by it because we have Kristin and Brandon that are awesome parents for Zach and have become very special to us as well. We Love them all!
You both will be great parents. I am very excited for you.
Grandma Janet

Brett and Tiffany said...

Heath,
You had already shared the news with me, but when I read this all I wanted to do was cry! We are so EXCITED!!! What an exciting time! We will pray for Debra and a healthy pregnancy!
P.S. I have a swing you are welcome to use and a bouncer! I am ready to go shopping! You are a great sister and you will be a SUPER MOM!!! Koby will be an awesome dad too!
P.P.S. Do you still want my kids to come for a week this summer? They have been asking! It will help one week of your summer go by a little quicker! Let me know! Tiff

Team Hanni said...

Heather-

I just got off the phone with Tiffany and she told me about your baby and to look at your blog... I'm sobbing... I am so happy for you!

I cannot tell you how many times I have thought about, and prayed for you guys. This absolutely made my day.

Bless Debra's heart - I love that girl. We will continue to pray for you and her as your baby gets ready to be in your family. This is just so awesome! Congratulations on your miracle! You will make wonderful parents.

Jeff and Jana