Do these words really go together? You got to love having a 16 month old and trying to get something out of church. This last Sunday we had quite the experience. In Relief Society she got very eager to go wandering and usually because our Relief Society room is so small and packed with women I try not to let her loose. However, she got away from me and up to the front she went. A lady on the front row was kind enough to entertain her for a little while but then Lizzie got too curious and crawled behind the piano (which is out from the wall enough that she could just sit back there and be just fine) until... she decided she wanted to go around it and get through the other side. That is when we hear the screaming and yelling and we find that she can not get through the other side but instead has wedged herself between the wall and piano. Yes, the piano is at the front of the room close to where the teacher is giving the lesson. She stops her lesson and cries, "Oh, no we have a little one stuck." I of course get up from my chair and weasel my way to the front to capture my daughter. In the meantime another woman at the front is already trying to get her out. It takes both of us to move the piano forward in order to rescue the curious critter named Lizzie. Once rescued she just smiles at everyone and finally the lesson can move forward. I am embarrassed and can't wait until we can get out of there.
Luckily in another week or two I am going to be able to take her to nursery. Yes, it is earlier than 18 months and boy are we excited. I already know that she is such a social bug we shouldn't have a problem there. Plus I have subbed in nursery a few times and taken her and she just loves it. The primary president has asked me to sub for the music leader for 6-8 weeks while she is out having a baby. Since Lizzie would be going into nursery in about another 2 months and since how it would be pretty impossible to lead the music in primary with her they told me I could just start sending her to nursery now. So I agreed that this would be an excellent idea. Now if only I knew for sure what to do as the music leader? Any suggestions? I know some of you blog readers have been music leaders before and I could really use some fun ideas so please share!
6 comments:
I cannot believe that she is 16 months already. Wow! She is adorable.
You will be so good as the music leader!! I really think it is a difficult calling, but you are so good with those kids and it will be fun for you. I have a few sites that I got ideas from but don't have them with me right now but will find them for you. My biggest advice that I can give is actually to not OVER plan. The kids really do listen and can be entertained by the simple lyrics of a song. Keep it to the basics and you will be awesome!! Good luck.
I loved leading the music in primary. It is a big job, but if you google primary music, you'll find lots of ideas. The little kids love to hold things. The bigger kids love games and anything they can touch. As for church, I know the feeling WELL. I wondered for many, many months why we even bothered to go. Let me tell you, nursery is a Godsend. Those leaders should be exhalted. I mean that. It's the only break I get from my kids all week. It's good for them and it's good for me. I hope lizzie loves it. You will for sure.
Never been a song leader, but I know the ones my kids have enjoyed are the ones that are interactive and make the songs fun. I know in our Primary right now, when it is someone's birthday, the music lady has a bag with birthday hats in it and the kids and teachers wear one when they come up to be sang to. Nursery is fun! I cried though when Conner went to nursery...after that I realized nursery was the best thing ever for church!
That is a great story!! I just love the crazy things kids do. Of course it may take a few days for it to be funny! :) She is going to love nursery. What a sweetie!
I totally hear you! I spent most of the time in the hallways with McGregor! Primary Music Leader is my all time FAVORITE calling! So fun! You will do great! I promise- your email is coming with all the preschool stuff! :) Jennie
love the snow! I remember that stage with Camri...fun times.
Post a Comment