This post has been on my mind for a long time and I am just now finding the time to write it down. A couple of weeks ago we had the wonderful experience of being a part of Debbie's (Lizzie's birthmom) wedding . It was a remarkable day. And I am so glad we got to be a part of it with her.
I know there are lots of feelings out there in regards to this. People are always asking us questions and want to understand why. They ask us how we do it. Well, let me tell you. We just do and it is very natural for us. We have a very open adoption with Debbie, as if she were family, and we would want it no other way. This is a woman who gave us something we could not give ourselves. She is an answer to a prayer.
I often think of the day before we came to this earth and in what line we each stood knowing that we would be tested. We all have our own challenges and no matter how hard many of them are, we agreed and said, "Yes I will go and do." Debbie is the reason Lizzie is here on this earth and she fulfilled her calling to bring her to us.
I know there are lots of feelings out there in regards to this. People are always asking us questions and want to understand why. They ask us how we do it. Well, let me tell you. We just do and it is very natural for us. We have a very open adoption with Debbie, as if she were family, and we would want it no other way. This is a woman who gave us something we could not give ourselves. She is an answer to a prayer.
I often think of the day before we came to this earth and in what line we each stood knowing that we would be tested. We all have our own challenges and no matter how hard many of them are, we agreed and said, "Yes I will go and do." Debbie is the reason Lizzie is here on this earth and she fulfilled her calling to bring her to us.
I often think of it like this....It was as if I stood in one line with several other women who chose my trial, and said send me I will take the trial of infertility. I will continue to watch other young moms around me have children. I will
try to enjoy the conversations of pregnancy and motherhood while I sit
childless. I will cry myself to sleep many nights year after year wondering if I will have the opportunity of being a mother and raising a child. I will be strong and keep my head high until it is in due time.
Then there was Debbie and several other women in another line next to the line I stood in, and with tears in their eyes they said, "I will go and do." I will sign up for this trial. No matter how hard it is on me, I will act with selfless love and be the bearer of the child that will bring this other woman joy. And when we get to earth I will find her. I will place this young child into her arms knowing that this child will be taken care of and loved. story here And I will walk away and continue my own life and the new experiences it brings along the way.
No matter where we are, it is not an easy road.
We chose to be a part of these experiences. We want Lizzie to know what a wonderful woman Debbie is and we speak very highly of her. We do not hide anything from her and do not view adoption as a bad thing. We want Lizzie to have a relationship with Debbie and see the joy she has in her life. It is very healing and comforting to all of us. There have been several times Debbie has seen Lizzie and has commented to us how seeing her helps her know that she made the right decision. We also love seeing the changes that have happened in Debbie's life and we are so proud of her. We were so happy to be invited to her wedding and be able to share in this joyous time in her life. And that is why I share this with you.
Here are some pictures from the wedding.
Me, Debbie, and her sister Kathy before the wedding.
Debbie's mom Carol made the most beautiful dress for Lizzie to wear at the wedding. Lizzie got to be the little flower girl and she was beaming with the idea of having her own little basket of flowers to carry.
Grandma Carol having them practice before the wedding.
The reception following the wedding.
The happy couple....Debbie and Shawn
Lizzie showing Debbie her hurt finger
Here is Lizzie with her new friend Ebby.
We met so many wonderful people. Lots of family and friends.
There was even one couple, Don and Judy Bishop, who told us they drove
all the way from Washington State, from the ward where Debbie grew up,
just so they could meet us and meet Lizzie. They have been following our
blog and watching Lizzie grow. They were intrigued with our situation
of an open adoption with Debbie and how great it was for all involved.
It was so fun to meet them and to let them be a part of our family. I am so grateful that I have the opportunity to educate and be an advocate for open adoption.
Thank you Debbie for being a part of our lives and letting us be a part of yours.
We love you and wish you the best!
8 comments:
Wow. What a great post. You two are incredible and such great examples! Lizzie is too darn cute! =)
I am going to "borrow" some of what you wrote because I couldn't say it any better how I feel! You are amazing!
Heather, I am so proud of you and how amazing you are. I am so sorry that you had to have this trial in your life, but I am so thankful for little Lizzie. we love her with all our hearts and are so greatful that she is a part of our family. I wish I could take away some of the pain you have had to bare. I love you! Mom
That was a tear-jerker of a post! So from the heart! Thanks for sharing with all of this! I hope this post will find some birth mom that is trying to find terrific parents for her baby because that is what you and Koby are! Debbie is a wonderful woman too! Isn't it amazing that Heavenly Father knew what trials he could give each of us to make us stronger and closer to Him! You are such an example to me!
Heather and Koby ~ you guys are both awesome examples of patience and endurance. Thank you for the lessons we're all learning from your experiences. . . May Heavenly Father continue to bless you and your family as well as Debbie and hers.
As a fellow advocate for open adoption, it is great to see how awesome it can all be when you put the child's needs first.
Keep up the great work.
Heather & Koby after reading your blog my heart is so full I can't begin to express what joy that has come from your adoption. Lizie shows that joy in her little face. Heather you wrote it so beautiful and each time I read it the tears come flooding.What a sweet soul you are as a mother.
You two are Amazing parents. What a beautiful story and quIte a tear jerker. Trials do make us stronger. I too always thought I would be able to have children of my own and be a mother but my Heavenly Father had other plans for me. It was a Blessing and a MIracle how I met my husband at 40 years old and he gave me two Beautiful step children I call my own. I'm so proud of you Heather and Koby and what a beautiful family you have with a Lizzy. I pray for you often for your family to grow and be blessed. I love this saying, "God doesn't give us what we can handle; God helps us handle what we are given." Love ya!
Post a Comment