Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Kitchen Remodel is FINISHED!

I need to thank my dad for his great work at remodeling my kitchen. He did such fantastic work and put in a lot of hours and weekends to make it all happen. And now it is finally finished! I am so excited and have loved every minute of being in it. 7 years ago when we bought this house we had plans to tear into the kitchen and re-do it. We had yucky tile as our backsplash and as the countertop. The grout was ugly. It had spots that were broken and didn't match. But I guess that is what you get with an old house. My dad immediately told me he would replace it with something new, but I figured why put something new on when the entire kitchen could use a facelift. So we waited. We started the process about 4 years ago with my dad building new boxes for our cabinets. He just did a little here and there while he had time and we continued to save our money for a real remodel job. Well the time had come and we were ready to get it done! And the results are below.
The Before:


The Tear Down:
Now unless you have dealt with a remodel job of an old home you may be a little frightened during this. I couldn't believe what it looked like once we got into the tear down part. All I can say is we should have done this a long time ago. We ended up doing new sheet rock and everything before we put up the new cabinets.

This was a shelf built right into the wall behind the cupboard. A long time ago they must have used it. My dad put a time capsule in it with our names on it and the date and then covered it back up. Just in case at a later time someone finds it. They will have a surprise.
This is where it gets really ugly. This was where the lower cabinets use to be. I couldn't believe the holes in the wall. DISGUSTING!
The Beginning of a New Look:
Don't you love how I captured Koby's work van parked right outside the window? It looks like we have people walking by.

My dad even built us an island and we just love it!
The Finished Product:

Doesn't it look so great? Thanks again Dad for all your hard work!
Anyone that wants to come see it is now invited! The project is finished!
Home Sweet Home!

12 comments:

Marcy Parkinson said...

He did a great job.

Nichole said...

That looks so good. I'm sure you'll get lots of use out of your new bar! I wish my kitchen had one--sigh!!! You're dad is awesome.

The Foster Bunch said...

It looks so good! What would we do without handy dads. I love the wood, and the bar. I am sure you are just loving it!! Good job Uncle John

Lindsay said...

Holy MOly! That looks amazzing! You are going to LOVE THAT! I love the island...I use mine all the time!! I love the cabinets! Wow, I love the new look!! It will be fun to decorate with the up and down cupboards! Dad did AWESOME! I want to drive down today and see it for real!! It is beautiful...I would want to spend all my time in the kitchen! haha!

emptynesters said...

What a nice job to everyone! It Looks great! You will love the time you get to spend in it.

Brett and Tiffany said...

That looks TERRIFIC! Dad is so talented! I know how it feels to be in a remodel mess, but it always pays off in the end! I can't wait to come and see it first hand! I love the new look! Way to go Dad!

Brooke Bailey said...

Wow! Uncle John is a talented man. Yeah for you Heather. It looks so great.

johnandjana said...

It does look great. I'm going to miss all the weekends coming down to work on it. Your Dad is an amazing man. Love him to pieces.
Glad you had enough patience for the long process.

Alyson said...

This looks so nice! I bet you are loving it!

Marsha said...

All I can say is WOW!

This Idaho Girl said...

A new kitchen makes such a difference! Yay for a completed project!

Alleman Family said...

That looks amazing!! LOVE the new look. :)