Friday, May 29, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend!

This post is about a week behind, but I had to find time to get to it. This time of year there is always so much to do outside, inside, getting school ended, you name it. Last weekend Koby and I decided to go through Yellowstone Park and up into Redlodge, Montana. Koby has always wanted to go out the Northeast entrance into Cooke City, MT and then see what the Beartooth Pass was all about going to Redlodge. So Friday night we headed out pretty late. We put Lizzie in her pj's and into her carseat so that she would sleep most of the way. We went up to Idaho and stayed with my sister that night. We got there about 11:30. The next morning we took Lizzie to my mom who was going to watch her for us while we had a little getaway. We figured Lizzie might not like the long drive in the car so much. It was a lot of driving and we knew she wouldn't enjoy the scenery from her carseat. So she stayed with Grandma and Grandpa for a night. This was the first time I have ever left her all night and it was not easy, but it was still good to getaway. Thanks again mom and dad for taking her for us. She sure loved it.

The drive was really quite nice. And the Park was full of animals this time of year. I couldn't believe what we saw. We saw everything possible, except a wolf. Koby really wanted to see a wolf. However, I think the 6 bear we saw made up for that. Neither of us have ever been through the Park and seen a bear. We ended up seeing 3 black bear and 3 Grizzlies in our whole trip. I've put a couple of pictures below of our trip. We stopped in Cooke City to use the restroom because there wasn't going to be a stop for awhile and as you will see the public restrooms were simply an outhouse. No matter where we stopped they sent us out. One place told me they didn't have a restroom, but to go down to the city hall. They had the nicest one in town. I figured it was indoor. But as you can see by the picture it isn't. I guess it just doesn't get used as often. It even had the aroma of cinnamon spray or something in it. Pretty fancy for a portable I thought. That was one great adventure on our trip.

We continued on across the Beartooth Pass. That was quite the adventure. This is a windy steep pass that goes 10,000 feet up and is even above the treeline. There was still a lot of snow on it in some places. We passed only 3 cars on the whole road. I was glad nothing happened to the car or something while we were driving. But it is pretty cool to say we've been on it. We dropped down into Redlodge, MT and stayed there for the night. The next morning eating our continental breakfast (which only included toast and 2 cereal options-not much of a continental breakfast if you ask me) we heard people talking about the pass saying that if it is open it must have just opened yesterday, because when they came through on Thursday night it wasn't yet open. So, we figured we were one of the few that had taken that road so early in the spring. No wonder we didn't hardly see anyone on it. We decided to take a different road home. The pass was fun and all, but pretty scary in some parts. We went around the pass and took another scenic road home called the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway. It was also very beautiful and green this time of year. We returned later Sunday evening and found that Lizzie had a great time staying with her grandparents and seeing all of her cousins. I don't think she even noticed we were gone. And of course we had to bring her a little something back so we got her a cute little shirt that said Yellowstone on it. We wanted to find one that said my parents went to Yellowstone and left me home with Grandma, but they didn't have one like that.

The next day was Memorial Day so we stayed up with my parents that night and did all the Memorial Day activities with them. We went to the cemetery and then had a potluck picnic at my parents with a lot of the aunts, uncles, and cousins. The day was very beautiful until we were ready to eat. Then a big cloud came in and we all grabbed the food and went inside. After we finished eating it was nice outside again. It was a great time though. I love getting to go home and seeing lots of family. It reminds me of when I was a kid. We always had family parties going on.

Enjoy the slideshow below of some of the pictures we took.

2 comments:

Poulsen Family said...

My two favorite pictures were of you and Koby in front of the waterfall (I think you should frame it) and Lizzie in her Yellowstone t-shirt. Glad you were able to have a little getaway.

johnandjana said...

I loved all of your pictures and I'm glad that you came up and had a great time. Lizzie was a little sweetheart for us. See you in a few days.